Sunday 20 March 2011

Spa day!!

Today was spa day. I spent all afternoon going from sauna to steaming water to freezing water to relaxing on a chair outdoors in a bathing suit. Yes!! Outside in a bathing suit in the middle of March! And it was lovely. It was sunny and beautiful and as we sat in the steaming water we could watch people skiing on the hills in front of us. Lovely I tell you!
It was kind of weird to just have a day of doing absolutely NOTHING, but relax. That sure doesn’t happen very often. Spas are to relax, so you’re not usually supposed to talk. You just sit there thinking of nothing or a few things. I did both. One thing I thought about is how I was one of the rare women who had a one piece bathing suit. And it is a bit loose too (about 4 sizes too loose!). I need to change it; I just don’t have time for shopping much). What’s even more ridiculous is that my bathing suit is white on the top and a bit old, so that the white gets a bit transparent in the water and I have to keep bringing the white back up so that it doesn’t get too low. Anyways...moving on! So as I was sitting there with my one piece bathing suit, I was wondering if I would ever get comfortable enough with my body to wear a two piece suit. I’ve heard people say that if you don’t have a great body you shouldn’t wear a 2 piece bathing suit. I don’t agree. I think that if you feel comfortable enough to wear the 2 piece bathing suit, you should totally wear it and I don’t care what other people think. But, I’m just not there yet. I hope that someday I will be.
On a somewhat related topic, I was also noticing how everybody went behind curtains to change into and out of their bathing suit. Now this is totally different from the place where I do most of my exercise. Whenever you step into the locker room at this place, you’re bound to get face to face with a naked woman at some point. Although I have to admit it feels a bit weird sometimes, I always thought that it was kind of neat that all these women feel so comfortable with their body that they can just walk around naked in the locker room. Even when I was younger and fitter, I didn’t do that. I was too self-conscious of my body even then. I don’t know if I will ever do that, but that is not the point! The point is why is it OK sometimes to just walk around naked in the locker room and at other times you would just look completely weird? Is it because the place where I train is a community center? Is it a cultural thing? And wouldn’t we all be better off if we all had gotten used to going around naked in the locker rooms?

No comments:

Post a Comment